So far my favorite question is "ni xihuan zhongguo cai ma?" or "do you like Chinese food?" What a question to ask! Already we've sampled a variety of delights that I have yet to learn the names of. On my arrival from the airport, we went to a restaurant with food typical of a town just outside of Shanghai. Because our hosts speak as much English as we speak Chinese, there was a lot of pointing, gesturing, and failed attempts of translation using a portable translator in order to choose our dinner. Fortunately this restaurant had most of its dishes artfully laid out using the raw ingredients.
This morning before Matt took off for work, we strolled down the road from the apartment where there are a plethora of stalls each with some type of fried carbo filled goodies. We decided on this crepe like snack that resembles a dosa with a single egg cracked and spread around, then folded in thirds. Some yummy dark black bean hot sauce and pickle is added, along with a flat fried mystery whose origin (plant or animal) has yet to be determined. Add a cup of beany soy milk and you've got a breakfast of champions. I will have to get pics of this soon. Other breakfast options included steamed or fried buns, glutinous rice cakes, and soft tofu and hot/sour sauce in a cup. I can't wait to try them all!
At lunch, I met up with Matt at his work and we headed for a place that has "nutritious beef soup." Just about every item on the menu had beef in it and in fact, they followed a 2-3-4 policy regarding their dishes. All their beef came from 2 year old healthy cows, the beef is simmered for 3 hours, and their noodles come from the best 1/4 of the essence of wheat making them chewy and delicious. Boy was I glad I decided to forgo my vegetarian ways! Matt's nutritious beef soup also contained two popular Chinese medicinal food herbs: Da Zao or red date, and Gou Qi Zi or Goji berries. I love seeing food being used as medicine.
Well, more food and other adventures to come. I'm about ready to pass out. Jet lag catching up to me...zzzzz
6 comments:
Congrats on the blog, I already added you to my Google Reader, so I can't wait to see what else you post! The food looks yummy, now you've got me craving chinese food as well...I know what's on the menu for lunch here now.
Yummmm ! Glad to know you're more open to other variety of food..be good, Jus.
...and what's Google Reader.( I'm a bit behind time, I guess, sigh!)
I'd be happy if you just did a FOOD blog - everything sounds YUMMAH!!! (Tania)
Since I'm a blog virgin, I'm glad, Adrienne, that it's you helping me learn. I look forward to learning more. Elaine
oh, photo narration makes everything more fun.
MOAR FOOOD!
rawr.
Hooray! I'm looking forward to hearing about your exploits in Shanghai. This is a wonderful post by the way.
Post a Comment